Friday 30 April 2010

Up the garden paths


A newly restored tiled front path just up the road inspired this collection of images documenting a variety of refurbished neighbouring paths where the original tiles have been replaced, as well as some of the few surviving Victorian patterns. Ours is original and one of the prettiest, I think. A similar design featured in the Boyle Family's Broken Path series, which I saw at the Hayward Gallery in 1986 soon after I started studying at St Martin's. We had already lived in this house for some years and I was thrilled to find our front path on the gallery wall - the first path is ours. It inspired a series of plastercast works, one of my only attempts at 3D or relief. Theirs are in fibreglass and very large scale:
http://www.boylefamily.co.uk/index.html

This is the new path:

























































































No comments:

Post a Comment